Redeeming #Dixie (a Name THROWN AWAY by @TheChicks) | @Wikimedia @Wikipedia @History @Quora @HouseOfNames @SongLyrics @Dailymotion @AskMetaFilter @InternetArchive @SouthPark

'That word' (below-hyperlinked to Twitter's announcement of The Chicks' decision to put their original name into 'formerly known as'-status) is built on an even-deeper source ... something crucial that firms the foundation upon which our lexicon stands ...

The word “Dixie” (referring to the Southern States of the United States) was first popularized by a Dan Emmett song that goes by that name. Abraham Lincoln liked the song, and it became the de facto anthem of the U.S. Civil War |Confederacy. 
As to 'where that word came from,' there are a few theories:  
  • from the name "Jeremiah #Dixon" (one of the eponyms of the Mason-Dixon Line---the border between Pennsylvania & Maryland, which became known as 'the border between the Slave-Owners' States & 'Free-Farmers'' States), a name based on ancient words that mean "Son of #Dick (#Richard, from ancient words that mean Brave Ruler (the shortened name starts with "D" because that's what it sounded like when the English tried to trill their "R"s ...

(... becoming slang for |Penis the same way 'Jack' came to mean "Pump-etc.") #Rich #Richie #Rick #Rickey #Ricki #Rickie #Ricky #Ritchie #Rikki #Ricard #Rikard #Rickard #Riccardo #Ricardo #Rico #Richards #Richardson #Rickard #Richárd #Dick #Dickson #Hicks #Richards #Richardson #Rickard #Pritchard #Prichard 

  • from Dix (French for Ten) printed on $10-bills minted at the New Orleans bank 
    (Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=55478915)

SUBSCRIBE FREE below:
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner


True, America's strength is its unity (in action) held in spite of its divisions & conflicts (in words & thoughts ... see that 'historical' episode of SOUTH PARK).

It's probably best that The Chicks got rid of that middle-name (tho that's not yet the name that Amazon uses for `em), as the name was a holdover from the days when our divided philosophies bled into our actions (along with the battle-flag American leaders are removing from display, and the statues of rebel-leaders Americans are tearing down). 

Yes, rebellion is a constant gene in the American bloodline; but musicians need to encourage our patriotism more than our conflict---calling the proud Americans 'The Dixie Chicks' would be like naming a Christian-band 'The Brethren of Satan' (I mean yes, Satan and Christ were both 'in the line of Our Heavenly Father'; but you shouldn't even think about the way you don't want to follow!)

But still, Mr. Emmett's song has some interesting lyrics:

Oh, I wish I was in the land of cotton,
Old times there are not forgotten,
Look awaylook awaylook away Dixie Land.

In Dixie Land, where I was born in,
early on one frosty mornin',
look awaylook awaylook away Dixie Land.

I wish I was in DixieHoorayHooray!
In Dixie Land I'll take my stan
to live and die in Dixie.
Awayawayaway down south in Dixie.
Awayawayaway down south in Dixie

Ole Missus marry "Will the weaver"
Willum was a gay deceiver
look awaylook awaylook away!
Dixie Land

But when he put his arm around 'er,
He smiled fierce as a forty pounder,
look awaylook awaylook away!
Dixie Land

And I wish I was in DixieHoorayHooray!
In Dixie Land I'll take my stand
to live and die in Dixie.
Awayawayaway down south in Dixie.
Awayawayaway down south in Dixie

His face was sharp as a butcher's cleaver
But that did not seem to grieve 'er
look awaylook awaylook away!
Dixie Land

Ole Missus acted the foolish part
And died for a man that broke her heart
look awaylook awaylook away!
Dixie Land

And I wish I was in DixieHoorayHooray!
In Dixie Land I'll take my stand
to live and die in Dixie.
Awayawayaway down south in Dixie.
Awayawayaway down south in Dixie

Now here's a health to the next ole Missus
An' all the gals that want to kiss us;
look awaylook awaylook away!
Dixie Land

But if you want to drive 'way sorrow
Come and hear this song tomorrow
look awaylook awaylook away!
Dixie Land

And I wish I was in DixieHoorayHooray!
In Dixie Land I'll take my stand
to live and die in Dixie.
Awayawayaway down south in Dixie.
Awayawayaway down south in Dixie

There's buckwheat cakes and Injun batter,
Makes you fat or a little fatter
look awaylook awaylook away!
Dixie Land

Then hoe it down and scratch your gravel,
To Dixie's Land I'm bound to travel,
look awaylook awaylook away!
Dixie Land

And I wish I was in DixieHoorayHooray!
In Dixie Land I'll take my stand
to live and die in Dixie.
Awayawayaway down south in Dixie.
Awayawayaway down south in Dixie

Oh, I wish I was in the land of cotton,
Old times there are not forgotten,
look awaylook awaylook away Dixie Land.

In Dixie Land, where I was born in,
early on one frosty mornin',
look awaylook awaylook away Dixie Land.

I wish I was in DixieHoorayHooray!
In Dixie Land I'll take my stand
to live and die in Dixie.
Awayawayaway down south in Dixie.
Awayawayaway down south in Dixie
I'm reminded of the 'comic' nature of most country/western-songs---sure, life is tough & country-musicians feelings are "serious"; but thoughts are silly! ("You Can't Roller-Skate in a Buffalo-Herd (but you can be happy if you've a mind-to)"; "You Don't Have to Call Me 'Darlin`,' Darlin`"; "Ocean-Front Property (in Arizona)"; etc,).

Comments