#StudyTheBible #WordByWord: #Many ('Many Mansions' where Jesus 'Goes to Prepare Our Place' in #John14Two) | @theBibleHub

'That word' (below-hyperlinked to the many English-translations of Jesus' words in John 14:2) is built on an even-deeper source ... something crucial that firms the foundation upon which our lexicon stands ...

The word “Many” ( #ManySided #ManyHeaded (and the obsolete) #Manier #Maniest #Manygates) is built on ancient words that mean "|Copious (Much, Frequent, Gift)" (Crowd, Large Number, |Plurality, Multitude, Mass of People, Common Herd).

SUBSCRIBE FREE below:
Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner




The verse (in case people search, #John142 #JohnFouteen2 #JohnFourteenTwo and (supposing 'John' is abbreviated "Jn") #Jn142 #Jn14Two #JnFourteenTwo #JnFourteen2) is "(Jesus speaking to His disciples) 'in the house of my Father are many mansions; and if not, I would have told you; I go to prepare a place for you;"

I think Pastor Ed ties that (at least the last phrase) to the Jewish tradition of a husband-to-be 'building a place (for his bride and himself) in his parents' house,' but--if I have the right verse there--I think that's a bit of a stretch.

Anyhow ...

John 14:2
Original Word ἐν τῇ οἰκίᾳ τοῦ
First Translation* In the house of the
Other Translations (from 6 prominent versions) " " " "
Possible Meanings (given in STRONG'S) On, Among, Resting that residence, abode, family that
Original Word Πατρός μου μοναὶ πολλαί
First Translation* Father of Me, mansions many
Other Translations (from 6 prominent versions) " " dwelling places, rooms "
Possible Meanings (given in STRONG'S) Heavenly Father, ancestor, elder, senior I abode, staying, residence much, often
~
Original Word εἰσιν εἰ δὲ μή
First Translation* there are; if now not,
Other Translations (from 6 prominent versions) " " so "
Possible Meanings (given in STRONG'S) I am, exist whether, on the condition that but, and (etc.) lest, whether
Original Word εἶπον ἂν ὑμῖν ὅτι
First Translation* would I have told - you that
Other Translations (from 6 prominent versions) I would have told, (see below) ?? " --
Possible Meanings (given in STRONG'S) answer, bid, bring word, command, speak, say supposition, wish, possibility, uncertainty thou because
(one version (the ISV) puts it, "If there weren't, I wouldn't have told you," and adds, "Would I?")
Original Word πορεύομαι ἑτοιμάσαι τόπον ὑμῖν
First Translation* I go to prepare a place for you?
Other Translations I am going away, for I go, I go on " " "
Possible Meanings (given in STRONG'S) to travel, journey, die to make ready a spot, position, opportunity, scabbard to thee, thou

(*I forget the 'first' translation's "name.")

Comments