#Mantras to live by | @ParadeMagazine, #OgMandino's Scrolls of the #GreatestSalesman, #NamMyohoRengeKyo, etc.

Yes, Parade quotes the Dalai Lama on a page you can get to through 'the emboldened link(s)' below; but first–after a mention of the free mining-software (giving us free Bitcoin in exchange for energy we're wasting anyway)–I want to teach you about those words. And I find you understand words better if you see 'the words at their base' (then going on to look at the words at those words' bases, then the words at those words' bases, etc.-etc. ad infinitum into their Foundation)

The word “|Mantra|” is built on ancient words that mean "(Instrument to assist the Mind in the) Thinking (-behind one's Speech or Action ... Counsel, Spell, |Charm, Sacred Message or -Text, |Hymnal |Section of the |Vedas)."
#Mantric

SUBSCRIBE FREE below:
Follow


I was looking for some 'motivational' text to add to a post (and possibly to start using in each post's 'default text'), found the image (now near the end of this post), saw that it was linked to a list of mantras from the Dalai Lama, and remembered how mantras were "an important part of a balanced diet" ... especially for Catholic-raised boys like me (and like President Joe Biden & statesman Stephen Colbert ... both of whom I mentioned in the title of that 'motivation' post).

That (the Catholic upbringing) pulls to memory a lot of mantras (though I don't know if they count as 'mantras' if you say them without knowing what they mean): "Amen, Hallelujah/Alleluia, In-the-Name-of-the-Father-Son-and-Holy-Spirit."

No; the first mantra I ever learned 'as a mantra' was (the main phrase of the picture's Korean Sanskrit, transliterated), "Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo." That's the mantra that Nichiren Buddhists recite without much review of its meaning (which is something like 'Listen!-Hear Wisdom & Try to Fulfill its Will-but Things Are Happening, and we have to React to Them First-And, so it goes.')

And that brings up the Dalai Lama (supposedly the next Buddha), who says ... said something---'the site that the pinterest-page quoted' no longer exists. But Parade (in the bold hyperlinks above) remembers 125 of them "that'll Go Straight to Your Heart," including:
(beside, "Know the Rules Well, so you can Break Them Effectively,") "Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.... We can Live without religion and meditation, but we cannot survive without human affection... Although you may not always be able to avoid difficult situations, you can modify the extent to which you can suffer by how you choose to respond to the situation..."
That's just the first few that 'went straight to my heart,' but they dug up one that's been there (which probably comes from the Dalai Lama, though I heard it from Joni Lamb or some other Christian preacher): "Be the Change you long to See in the World."

... reminding me of 'For God so Loved the World, that he gave his Only Begotten Son, that Whosoever should Believe on Him should Not Die, but have Everlasting Life'; of course, that might've gotten "edited" in my Mind Canon, along with 'I tell thee (and LT is actually 'asking' me, "Did you really mean to use 'the archaic form of "You"?'") today, you shall be with me in Paradise ...' 

And of course we can't leave out the 'Mantras of the Scrolls of Og Mandino's The Greatest Salesman in the World' (each of which you ought to hear read (at the link) 3 times a day (at-least until each mantra is embedded in your mind ... and possibly a refresher about once a month to make sure you remember what you need to)):
  1. I will Form Good Habits & Become their Slave.
  2. I will Greet this day with Love in my heart.
  3. I will Persist until I Succeed.
  4. I am nature's greatest Miracle.
  5. I will Live this day as if it is my last.
  6. Today I will be Master of my Emotions.
  7. I will Laugh at the world.
  8. Today I will Multiply my Value a hundredfold.
  9. I will Act Now.
  10. I will Pray for Guidance only.
There are lots of 'local' mantras - not just in Oklahoma ("Oklahoma, Okay!"; someone says "Boomer?" and everyone-who-knows yells "Sooner!"; I think we tried that with "Thunder? OKC!" or something, but none of those have really stuck; maybe some people use "Thunder Up!" as an expression; and of course we use lots of country-song lyrics to describe various situations in our lives😏),

but also infamous ones from around America (lots of American Patriotism sayings--land of the free, home of the brave; etc.); New York's "If I can make it there, I'll make it anywhere!"; Everything's bigger in Texas - Texas, it's like a whole `nother country; Keep Portland Weird! (in Oregon, inspired by Keep Austin Weird (another one from Texas))

What mantras shape your life? Share them in the comments!


I really enjoy sharing my unique perspectives and I'm thankful to you for liking this enough to subscribe (FOR FREE) to get alerts when I post something new and -to comment below (to tell me how crazy or -ingenious or -foolish or -enlightening-etc. my writing is).

Comments