Back to My 'Original Mission' - the hunt for #TheRootOfAllWords | @NLM_NIH @Google @LearnThat @ReadingRockets @YourDictionary @UW @HotForWords @d_TRIX

When I started this blog (as I've probably mentioned before ... but I'm 'reviewing it to myself'), it was inspired by 'how--when I'd look at "etymologies" (histories) after definitions in the dictionaries--I'd see that the history-words meant "words that were also in the dictionary," whose etymologies meant other words in the dictionary, whose etymologies meant ... etc., etc.... until you get to 'the word's earliest root (see below).

As I was thinking of topic-ideas to use as the base of this blog, I remembered how much I liked 'finding out which words provided the base/root/support for certain words' (something that Marina "HotForWords" reminded me as she rose to 'super-stardom' (or the closest thing to-it that any word-nerd could even hope for)).

Some inspiration also came from the "CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE"-books (you know; those books where you get to make certain choices in the story to sort-of control 'what happens in the story'). And I think that's where I got mixed-up here.

Because I thought I was going to make each blog-entry 'one that "dug all the way down" to the foundational-root'; and I think I did that ... on a 'version of this blog' that got deleted (or -that I can't/don't access anymore).

That, and I'd often get 'distracted' and stop working on one entry when inspired by another topic (something new is brought up in politics or comedy or science or religion etc.)

So I'd forget to tie all the words down to ... see below (the bold text, hyperlinked to ... my primary reference for this blog (and no, it's not HotForWords 😋)).

#TheRootOfAllWords is ... well, I don't know if my primary source says (and it might be replaced by "the web's largest word root and prefix directory").

Asking the Internet gave me (besides the new-to-me source linked above)

They say that a lot of the words' roots (some 60%-to-80%, I hear) are found in Greek or Latin; that's truly where they were first 'formulated,' but I'm pretty-sure they originated in #Babytalk (and/or in Onomatopoeia (Echoic Origins)).

I remember sitting with some friends at a church-meeting. They had an infant child, and--when it needed something--it ("he," I think) would basically call out, "Ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma ..." and his mother would know exactly what was troubling him.
The word "Babytalk" is ... not the word I'm looking for---well, not exactly. I thought it was 'the babbling babies do,' but it's actually "the babbling parents & other caregivers do to the baby" (although that is where the babies get a lot of their words!) This may seem counter-productive, but University of Washington tells us how parents actually help their children by adopting babytalk into their #Parentese. 
The phrase I'm looking for is (Speech and Language at Home tells us) the #Crying and Babbling (including #Reduplicated- (e.g. ma-ma, ba-ba, pa-pa) & #Variegated- (e.g. ma-de-pa)). That grows into Words, Phrases & #Sentences! 
The word "Crying" is built on ancient words that mean #Wail.

just like #Crybaby #Cries #Cried #Cry #CryYourEyesOut
 #FarCry #Crier #Criers #Crybabies #OutCry
The word "Wail" is built on ancient words that mean #Woe.

just like #Wails #Wailed #Wailer #Wailers
 #Bewail #Bewails #Bewailed #Bewailing
The word "Woe" is built on the internationally-common #Interjection of one struck by Trauma or Tragedy.

just like #Woebegone #Woeful #Wae #Wa! #Oy
The word "Interjection" is built on ancient words that mean "to Throw either-from Within or -in Between."

just like #Interject #Interjectional #Introjection
The word Reduplicated is obviously Re- + #Duplicated. The word "Duplicated" is built on ancient words that mean "to Fold Double."

just like #Duplicate #Duplicates #Duplicating #Duplicaation
 #Duplicative #Reduplicate #Reduplication
The word "Variegated" is built on ancient words that mean "to Vary."

just like #Variegate #Variegated #Variegates
The word "Sentences" is built on ancient words that mean "to Opine."

just like #Sentence #Sentenced #Sentencing
 #Sentintial #Sententially #Sententious #Sententiously
 #Sententiousness
And the word "Parentese" is built on the word Parent and the language-name ending #ese.
with the suffix "-ese" is built on ancient words that mean Belonging to (or Originating in).


To Keep Up on My 'Research,'

And so it goes.
My New Mantra (one of several)

I really enjoy sharing my unique perspectives and I'm thankful to you for liking this enough to subscribe (FOR FREE) to get alerts when I post something new and -to comment below (to tell me how crazy or -ingenious or -foolish or -enlightening-etc. my writing is).

Comments