Know #TheWordsToThatSong? A Few Songs I Had/Have to Learn #TheLyrics for - #Lyrics #Words #Lyric #Word #Lyrical #WordOfGod #Wordsmith #Worded #Wording #SwearWord #Wordplay #Wordless

Growing up, I ... I guess I didn't always think 'singers' had to be singing 'words.' I didn't always distinguish between "the words of a song (Libretto? ... maybe for an Opera)" & "Scat."

They don't 'say' on WikiDiff (more-or-less 'just posting the definitions of the two words,' as-of July 21, 2019, anyway), so I guess–as those words' 'foundations' probably verify–'words' are probably "the meanings of the sounds your subconscious brain gives to your conscience to be delivered (through your fingers or your mouth) to your surroundings," while 'lyrics' are probably "the agreed-upon sounds (usually represented by 'words') that fit with the music that's playing and/or -that a composer sets to music."

The word "Word" is built on "to Speak, Say" (on Verb, Promise (theological)).
The word "Lyrics" (Etymonline doesn't list 'Lyrics,' but has two listings (Noun & Adjective) for "Lyric"; I see why at Wikipedia's 'Lyrics'-entry) is built on "|Lyre, Harp" (Psalm, |Poetry Spoken by the Musician Playing the Instrument).

Through most of my life I've enjoyed 'singing for groups' (at talent-shows, Karaoke, etc.) Here are some of the songs I've frequently sung & -the songs I'm planning to 'sing' (or at least 'believably lip-sync') in the future:

  • The Lord of the Dance (not the Christian-Rock version, but an old church-hymn (set to the melody of 'A Shaker Hymn' and/or 'some classical music'))
  • Everything You Know is Wrong - a "Weird" Al 'original' (or at least 'one of-which I haven't heard the song he's parodying if there is one') that marked a substantial step forward on my recovery from 'garbled babble' to 'distinctive speech'
  • Bohemian Rhapsody - after its popularity-boost (from the classic WAYNE'S WORLD, but mostly starting a long time afterward), it would always be 'the first Karaoke-song' I'd do to "introduce" myself to a new (to me, at least) Karaoke-venue
  • BaWitDaBa - also Karaoke
  • Dragula - also Karaoke
      • I know you usually get the words on 'a teleprompter' for Karaoke songs, but–kinda like 'having hymnals in church (although most congregants know the planned songs by-memory)'–it's easier to sing songs you know the words-to and/or have sung frequently enough to learn beforehand.
  • Inka Dinka Doo - my first solo in elementary-school 'show choir'
  • When You're Alone - another solo I did, a song I also used for some musical-theater auditions & at Karaoke
        • And then–of course–the 'show-tunes' (some of which are also popular in Karaoke)
  • The Other Side
  • Master of the House
  • Oklahoma!
  • Sweet Transvestite
  • Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again
  • Everything's Alright (reminding me of the popular It's Alright (sung by the guy who also did a cover of You Know It's Alright (if You've Got Soul)))
  • One-Hundred-Twenty-Five Thousand, Six-Hundred Minutes
      • And other popular songs I learned:
  • When the God-Man Passes By

Comments