So What's the Deal with #ColorsOfVestments (on the #CatholicCalendar)? | @MySundayMass @ForDummies @Microsoft @StElisbethCnvt

Doing a post for 'each birthday,' I figured I'd add the Saints' Days mentioned in the calendar I got from Heart of the Nation. Turns-out that Saints' Days are fairly rare, but #VestmentColors are mentioned so frequently that they decided to abbreviate them (W for White (& Gold), G for Green, R for Red, V for Violet/Purple, RS for Rose, B for Black).
besides these colors, my search also brought up
BLUE vestments ... not mentioned in any of
my research ...


As sometimes the #Vestment Color(s) is the only thing special about a day (according to that calendar), I'll usually include a reminder of those colors.

I'll outline the explanation (linked through 'the main word' below) below the subscribe-bar; but I feel it's more important to understand that word better. And I find that you understand words better when you look at the other words at the bases of the words you're thinking-of ...

The word “Vestment” is built on ancient words that mean "to Clothe" (Wear). #Vestments #Vestmental

SUBSCRIBE FREE below:
Enter your email address:

Delivered by
FeedBurner


Their Vestment-Color Calendar-Cycle is displayed in several slightly-different ways, but the one that looks most-exact to me is:
the Liturgical Calendar for 2009 .... I can't read the inscription on the inner ring (put it in the comments
if you CAN)

The Reasons for the Colors (which the 'ForDummies'-article describes in a little more detail):
... the Blue (paired with White) is worn by "Orthodox Christianity" for feasts and days commemorating the Most Holy Mother of God, the Bodiless Powers and Virgins. 

Comments