What Do You Think of These #AmericanDelicacies? | @Wikipedia

What American Foods are #Delicacies?

I'll list a few (and you can add some in the comments); but first, 'That word' (below-hyperlinked to a Tweet that first asked the question) is built on an even-deeper source ... something crucial that firms the foundation upon which our lexicon stands ...

The word “Delicacies” is the plural of 'the Fine Food'-sense (the |Viands that are |Dainty & Gratifying-to-the-Palate) of #Delicacy, a word (referring to |Delightfulness, |Fastidiousness, the Addiction to Sensuous Pleasure, Softness, |Tender Loveliness, or Weakness of Constitution) built on ancient words that mean #Delicate + the suffix #cy. 
The word "Delicate" is built on ancient words that mean "to Lure- or |Entice Away (see De-)" (see also Delicious, |Delectable, |Delight). 
#Delicately #Delicateness 
The suffix "-cy" is a Noun-|Suffix of Quality or Rank, built on ancient suffixes like -|ia (see the suffixes -ship & -|hood)




In response to the Tweet, I suggested Fried Okra & Spiedies ... and then I remembered the Cajun foods Gumbo, Jambalaya, 'Chitlins' (my auto-correct thinks I mean "chatlines," so I'll check my spelling ... my search shows me that that's one way to spell it, but that "the official name" of the food is Chitterlings).

Others at the Tweet suggested Ribs, Fried Chicken, Shrimp & Grits, Fried Green Tomatoes, She-Crab Soup, Low Country Boil. Deviled Eggs, Chili Dogs, Jello, Twice-Baked Potato, Blue Crabs, Sad Roe, Blueberry Pie, Roast Turkey, Corn-on-the-Cob, NYC Thin Crust Pizza, Velveeta on a Ritz Cracker. Midwest Beef, Gulf Shrimp & -Crabs, Maine Lobster, Cheez Whiz, Pop-Tarts ... and on and on ...

What's your favorite?

Comments