It's a Lovely Song, but @ZachWilliams' Song does something I don't like ... #Anthropomorphicizes God


It's a great song (one I'll be either performing or lip-syncing at this year's Mountain High Camp talent-show); but it's one of those songs promoting the idea that God is 'some superhuman savior that comes and lifts us up lest we dash our foot upon a stone,' and I think I've always preferred to praise God as 'a power-broker on high, granting us humans the power to lift ourselves up as we lift up others.'

So much I prefer that 'image of God,' I'm tempted to accuse 'the hero-worship kind' of insulting God---of claiming that God is some kind of lowly #anthropomorphic (human-like) entity with power so limited that God has to choose who to portion it out-to.

|That word| seems important; so I found out a little more about |that word| (below-linked to the thing that brought |that word| to my attention) and share my findings with you below---maybe I'll add some notes beneath (and/or you might start/continue the discussion in the comments).
The word |Anthropomorphize| sits at the peak of the high tower above the proto-word #ner- "Man (also |Vigorous, Vital, Strong)," which--adding the ancient syllable which meant "Form" (making a word that was then used to describe Apes)--evolved through ancient words that mean "Lower than a God."
just like #Anthropomorphous #Anthropomorphizing
 #Anthropomorphized #Anthropomorphizes #Anthropomorphously
 #Anthropo- #Anthropic #Anthropocentric #Anthropogeny
 #Anthropoid #Anthropology #Anthropometry
The proto-word |*ner-| ("Man (also Vigorous, VitalStrong)") is theorized by the existence of ancient words that mean "a Man, a Male (as opposed to a Woman, a Youth or a God)"; and evolved into all- or part of the names Alexander, Andrew, |Andromache, |Andromeda, |Leander, |Lysander, the prefix |Andro-, the words Androgynous, |Android, |Lycanthropy, |Misanthrope, |Philander, |Philanthropy ...

To Keep Up on My 'Research,'

'Compulsing' those lyrics (mostly 'to learn them for the talent-show,' but also 'to ferret out any interesting etymology'📚🤓📚):
For so long I carried the weight of my past
Crippled by burdens like stones on my back
I thought I had fallen too far from your grace
You came and showed me the way.

When I was a lost soul searching
You were the ground beneath my feet
When I was a blind man begging,
You were the eyes so I could see.
When the smoke was rising,
You were the air that I could breathe.
You gave me hope.
You gave me something to believe.
Now I'm alive and born again,
Rescued from the grip of sin.
God your love came crashing in,
And pulled me I'm a survivor.

Now all I can see are
the fields of your grace.
Wherever I run,
You're leading the way.
You shook the shackles off my feet.
I found redemption on my knees.
You gave me hope.
You gave me something to believe.

Now I'm alive and born again,
Rescued from the grip of sin.
God your love came crashing in,
And pulled 
me Out of the fire,
I'm a survivor.

Oh I'm a survivor.
Oh!

You make me
You make me
You make me
You're my fighter.
You make me

Now I'm alive and born again,
Rescued from the grip of sin.
God your love came crashing in,


Comments