The Phrase #FriendsinLowPlaces ORIGINATED in that @GarthBrooks HonkyTonkin-Song? ... sorta ...

I notate my "re-SEARCH 🤓😏" below the following text; but first I want to teach you about a word/phrase. And I find you understand words better if you see 'the words at their base' (then going on to look at the words at those words' bases, then the words at those words' bases, etc.-etc. ad infinitum into their Foundation)

I'll discuss the phrase's meaning below, but it's basically 'making fun of a phrase that people use in reference to the #HoityToity class (the 'Upper-Class who Don't Deserve it'). 
The current meaning of the word “Hoity-Toity” is probably influenced by its similarity to the word "Haughty" (I also detect some influence from the phrase "Hoi Polloi" there---a |Snooty way of saying they're just Common People), but the original word built on ancient words that mean "acting like a #Hoyden (Heathen), |Romping (|Flighty, |Frolicsome, Riotous Behavior)."
#HoiPolloi

SUBSCRIBE FREE below:
Follow



It's also a favorite karaoke-song (forgive me if I'm supposed to capitalize 'karaoke,' but ... oh well), so I'll give you as many of the lyrics as I can remember,
Blame it all on 'my roots';
I showed up in boots,
and ruined your black-tie affair.

The last one to know,
The last one to show,
I was the last one you thought you'd see there.

And I saw the surprise
And the fear in his eyes
As I took his glass of champagne;

Then I toasted you,
said 'Honey, we may be through,
But you'll never hear me complain! 

Coz I'm not big on social graces
Gonna slip on down to The Oasis!
I've Got Friends
In Low Places.

Well I guess I was wrong
I just don't belong,
But then 😁 I've been there before.

Everything's alright
I'll just say goodnight,
And I'll show myself to the door.

Now I didn't mean
To cause a big scene.
Just give me an hour and then,

I'll be as high as that Ivory Tower
That 'you're livin` in'  (the way we pronounce it, I always thought those words were 'you'll never know' until I saw the lyrics printed either-with the album or -in karaoke).

Coz I'm not big on social graces
Gonna slip on down to The Oasis!
I've Got Friends
In Low Places.

Coz I've got friends in low places
Where the whiskey drowns- and the beer chases-
Our blues away.
I'll be okay.

Coz I'm not big on social graces
Gonna slip on down to The Oasis!
I've Got Friends
In Low Places.

Coz I've got friends in low places
Where the whiskey drowns- and the beer chases-
Our blues away.
I'll be okay.

Coz I'm not big on social graces
Gonna slip on down to The Oasis!
I've Got Friends
In Low Places.
and you can check my memory and see the whole verse that EVERYBODY knows (basically the second verse again, with a less-appropriate ending)!

But the question that came to mind (which I'll mention on 'the forum' soon) is 'Did that phrase originate with that song, or was it a common phrase (a long time ago) that the song "resurrected" and brought back into common usage?'

Well, Microsoft Bing gathered some information on the origin, and the first page of resources included










Comments