@allure_Magazine, on the Shaving #Powder (featured on @TikTok_US) that seems to have BROKEN @Enews

Well, the Shaving #Powder didn't 'break' E! NEWS; but two-or-three links they wrote to an article about the Powder are 'broken,' and I had to search for "tiktok shaving powder" to feed my curiosity.

The allure article is linked through |that word| below; but first, I find out a little more about |that word| and share my findings with you.

The word |Powder| is built on ancient words that mean "Dust (rooted in the proto-word *skakanan "to Shake, Swing, Escape" ... but see #Pulverize)." |Pulverize| is built on the same words under Pollen (ultimately rooted in the proto-word *bhel- "to |Thrive, |Bloom" ... through words that mean "Flower," which support "Flour.")
on which are also-built #Powders #Gunpowder #TakeAPowder
 #PowderRoom #PowderMonkey #PowderBlue #PowderInTheWind
 #Powdered #Powdering #PowderPuff #PowderPuffs

To Keep Up on My 'Research,'



The |links| above lead to the article (about the shaving-powder ... with a lot of info about how (& why?) ladies have shaved for centuries), but--as I'm not interested in 'depilation'--'my findings' above bring up "something I've been thinking about" ...

You know etymology usually phrases its findings as "the root of the word," whereas I phrase mine as 'the base of the word' or 'the foundation beneath the word' (mostly because I'm pretty sure people are more interested in 'what brings the word to us today' than in 'the irrelevant place it started' ... think of "politics"---originally referring to 'the way to Manage a City's Business,' but now more about 'the Popularity of Administrators' Opinions.')

But--partly because of what I've learned about 'The Etymological Fallacy' (basically that people sometimes mistakenly conflate 'a word's root' with 'its current meaning'---fooling themselves into thinking its root is some sort of "secret meaning" of the current word)--I'm sort of 're-analyzing' my words there ...

People usually regard a word's "base" as 'the current word that a word is built on' (the way "Go" is 'the base' of "Gone, Going"). But the way I've been doing it, I would tell you that "Go" is 'based on' some ancient, foreign (possibly imaginary) word with a similar meaning---I know I've researched it & posted it, but I don't remember if it has anything to do with 'what "Go" means today!' 🙄

I guess that's why most of us call those words 'root-words'---they don't much influence the way today's word is used (the way 'the rock you dig metal from' doesn't decide whether the metal becomes a ring or a bullet)!

My New Mantra (one of several) - Nothing is forever except Change (BUddhA)

... and I have to mention that a lot of help (a share of revenue, extra topics from magazines & advertising, etc.) comes from WowApp: Using the Wowism Community's Fairness to Prevail over Economic Greed

Comments