@Sideways440 probably forgets that the @CATSmusical/movie is #Adapted from CATS 'the book of poetry' | @goFandom @ineffableCATS @StageAgent @Bing @ProProfs @Collider @CinemaBlend @ColliderFrosty

... or maybe he knows (this is one reason I 'hate' extra-long videos-on-YouTube ... the excellent critique of 'the recent film-version of the Broadway-musical' is a phenomenal tear-down of the filmmakers' various failings; but I've watched about half-an-hour of it, and am not even halfway through!) 

I'll finish watching (mostly) and see if there's any research to do on 'the T.S. Eliot poem-collection the musical is based-on'; but What I show first is 'the group of words' that couch "that word" (below hyperlinked to Sideways's YouTube-video about the many trespasses of the CATS movie) into your vocabulary ... deeper meanings that 'firm the foundations' upon which our lexicon stands ...

The word “Adapted” is built on ancient words that mean "to |Join To" (Ad-, |Apt).

#Adapt #Adapting #Adaptation #Adapts #Adaptable #Adaptability #Adapter #Adaptive


SUBSCRIBE FREE below:
Enter your email address:

Delivered by
FeedBurner


Of course, I'm not the first web-writer to expound the differences between the poems & the West-End/Broadway-musical & the movie.

The main difference between T.S. "Old Possum" Eliot's book (I think---not having read it, and not being able to find any confirmation) is that the book is just 'describing all the different Jellicle cats,' while the musical (and the movie) explain that it's important 'who they are' because 
Jellicle Cats meet once a year, at the Jellicle Ball where we all rejoice; where the Jellicle Leader will soon appear and make what is known as the Jellicle Choice.
When Old Deuteronomy--just before dawn--through a silence you feel you could cut with a knife,
announces the cat who can now be "reborn" and come back to a different Jellicle Life.
For waiting up there is the Heaviside Layer, full of wonders One Jellicle only will see.
And Jellicles ask, because Jellicles dare,
WHO, WILL IT BE? (WHO, WILL IT BE?)
(I remember those words from the Broadway-musical,
but I'm not sure if those lyrics were in the original poetry.
...
and in a lot of my 'research,' I've seen them use the word
 'Layer' there (maybe referring to 'the circle of Heaven
cats go-to'); but I've only ever heard it as the one-syllable
😕)

'The Jellicle Ball's Jellicle Choice for promotion to the Heaviside Layer' apparently isn't in the original book, but it's in both musicals.

Looking for some information on 'the different CATS-cats,' I found a test to find out which CATS-cat I'd be (a test I tried a couple times, but don't quite agree with either of the results I got).

Beside the few 'terms' I'll research & link to above, I think I'll also 'obsess over' the names of the Jellicles:
Grizabella (the Glamour Cat), Asparagus (Gus) the Theatre Cat, Old Deuteronomy, Munkustrap, Rum Tum Tugger, Demeter, Skimbleshanks (the Railway Cat), Bustopher Jones, Rumpleteazer, Mungojerrie, Jennyanydots (The Old Gumbie Cat?), (Mister) Mistoffelees a.k.a. Quaxo, Jellylorum, Victoria, Macavity, Jemima/Sillabub, Bombalurina, Rumpus Cat, Tumblebrutus/Bill Bailey, Etcetera, Tantomile, Coricopat, Cassandra, Carbucketty/Pouncival, Admetus/Plato, Alonzo

I practically 'grew up listening to the soundtrack' (not sure how the songs fit the plot), so I guess I'll list any songs that aren't just "introductions of the listed cats" (I don't know if these songs are all 'in both musicals' or 'just Broadway' or 'just the movie'):

Beautiful Ghosts (Victoria's Song), Overture, The Old Gumbie Cat, Memory, The Ad-dressing of Cats, Jellicle Songs for Jellicle Cats, The Naming of Cats, The Awful Battle of The Pekes and the Pollicles, The Song of the Jellicles, The Jellicle Ball, The Moments of Happiness, Growltiger's Last Stand, Macavity Fight, The Journey to the Heavyside Layer (which I've always thought was a 'lair')

Comments