Did We Ever Get an Answer to #Why? @KellyJHolmes tells us #WhyNot

That's the question that occurred to me as I re-watched THE MATRIX. I see Thomas "Neo" Anderson 'go to work, get arrested and offered a cleared record, visit Morpheus and "take the red pill" and make various choices,' and I wonder 'Why?'

(or maybe 'that question' is just "a leftover thought from this scene ...")
Maybe I wonder "why" 'a character in a movie' does things, but I'm ultimately reminded of the "typical 3-year-old's 'why'-sequence" ('Mommy/Daddy/Aunt/Uncle/Grampa/Gramma/Teacher? Why is something the way it is?" 'Because "God" made it that way.' "Why?" 'Because ...' "Why?" 'Because ...' etc.)


The word “Why” is built on ancient words that mean “What (in the instrumental case ... For 'what' Purpose, or By 'what' Means)” (also the proto-word #kwo- (root of relative & interrogative pronouns) which gave us |Where, Cheese (a |Big |Thing), |Cue (the |Stage Direction), |Either, |How, |Neither, Neuter, Quality, |Quantity, |Quasi-, Query, Quip, |Quorum, Quote, |Quotient, When, Whence, |Which, |Whither, Who).

So why? Because (like Kelly J. Holmes's article tells us) ... You tell me why 😜 Like The Oracle told Neo, "You're not here to make the choice; you're here to find out why you made that choice."

But there are a few "why"s I wish I had known before I had to 'find out' (or a few 'why's I'd rather learn before I have to 'find out'):


Those questions—to my mind, their answers start out 'Because "I" (mommy or daddy) said to! (and Our Father commands you to "Obey your Mother & Father")' and change (after you learn that Our Father said to "Honor your Mother & Father" ... 'obeying' them is just the simplest way to 'honor' them) to 'Because "something bad will happen" if you don't!'

Comments