@Sideways440 is our Sherpa on a Journey through the #DiesIrae Terrain of #Sondheim's #SweeneyTodd | @BrianLaGuardia2

Well, Sideways discusses (the use of the dies irae 'leitmotif') in a video linked through the bold text below

The Dies Irae (literally "Day of |Wrath")--Sideways explains better--was originally a melody sung by Lord Jesus Christ's believers, about the hopeful belief that He will return one day & ... I dunno---get revenge? (now it's a leitmotif used to communicate 'the presence of death' in theater-soundtracks).
Sense I mentioned the composer's surname, I'll go ahead and report that the surname “Sondheim” might be a variant of #Sontheimer, derived from the place-name #Sontheim, built on ancient words that mean "Home/|Settlement/Farm/Enclosure of a |Swimming (Pool) or Sound (though I think it refers to the geographical rather than the aural) or Strait (see -#heim #Sond- #Sont- #Sunt-)."
similar to the names/words #Sundheim #Solheim #Sontheimer #Manhim #Opheim #Wertheim #Borsheim, the suffix #ham

To Keep Up on My 'Research,'

The "original" Dies Irae (though Sideways is mostly talking about 'just a few bars (often repeated) in this music')
I really enjoy sharing my unique perspectives and I'm thankful to you for liking this enough to subscribe (FOR FREE) to get alerts when I post something new and -to comment below (to tell me how crazy or -ingenious or -foolish or -enlightening-etc. my writing is).

Comments