#FirstCorinthians13Eleven: the Verse that Secures My Theism | #Ripe Truth isn't Obvious from the Green Lies | #BibleStudy @theBibleHub #ChapterByChapter #VerseByVerse #WordByWord #Ripeness #Ripen #Unripe #Ripely

I see atheists all the time claiming that Christianity is all wrong because 'the stories they tell their children (and apparently keep believing through the rest of their lives)' are impossible---things like "God is all-knowing & all-powerful, so why doesn't he just make everything perfect and use his power to make our minds obey him?'

Hearing yet-another YouTube-atheist ask these immature questions, I remember 'what I originally thought my father did when he went out to "make money"'---I thought he went down to the Mint and stamped-out the coins & printed up the bills. Oh, I was still a toddler when I found out that "making money" is actually 'doing tasks for the employer who agrees to GIVE you money."

That lesson echoes from the Bible-verse I've linked through 'the bold hyperlinks' below; but first I want to teach you about those words. And I find you understand words better if you see 'the words at their base' (then going on to look at the words at those words' bases, then the words at those words' bases, etc.-etc. ad infinitum into their Foundation)

The word “Ripe (\ #RipeOldAge #TheTimeIsRipe #SoonRipeSoonRotten)” (meaning of an ancient word in the base beneath "Mature") is built on ancient words that mean "to Reap."

SUBSCRIBE FREE below:
Follow


Another example of this 'putting the ways of childhood behind me'? When I was a child, I thought The President (of the United States) was a real-life Superman---sorta the way grown Americans often do today (where we somehow blame 'the whole economy' on him).

Now, I don't know if 'the standard Christian interpretation' of 1 Corinthians 13:11 talks about "the things you hear as a child being 'a bit of embellishment' on the actual truth"; so I'll analyze that verse word-by-word:

Holman Christian Standard Bible
When I was a childI spoke like a childI thought like a child, I reasoned like a childWhen I became a man, I put aside childish things.

New American Standard Bible
When I was a childI used to speak like a childthink like a child, reason like a childWhen I became a man, I did away with childish things.

King James Bible
When I was a childI spake as a child, I understood as a childI thought as a child: but When I became a man, I put away childish things.
International Standard Version
When I was a child, I spoke like a child, thought like a child, and reasoned like a childWhen I became a man, I gave up my childish ways.

American Standard Version
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I felt as a child, I thought as a child: now that I am become a man, I have put away childish things.


Young's Literal Translation
When I was a babe, as a babe I was speaking, as a babe I was thinking, as a babe I was reasoning, and When I have become a man, I have made useless the things of the babe; 
ὅτε (When) ἤμην (was) νήπιος (child), ἐλάλουν (speaking) ὡς (like) νήπιος (child), ἐφρόνουν (thinking) ὡς (like) νήπιος (child), ἐλογιζόμην (reasoning) ὡς (like) νήπιος (child)· ὅτε (When) γέγονα (became) ἀνήρ (man), κατήργηκα (discarded) τὰ (things) τοῦ (of) νήπιος (child).
That verse tells us that our 'ripened' minds have grown an "understanding" of reality ... e.g. we still pray to God, but we know he's not exactly 'listening to our prayers' (he hears us, the same way parents hear their neighbors' baby crying---he understands that people near us are taking care of our problems ...

(... or maybe we 'understand' that God is not 'our great-grandfather who lives in the castle in the clouds,' but he (at least "the one we're praying-to") is more like 'the power which we- & our fellow humans-can use to guide the world to Prosperity.)

Understand ... I look at that word's etymology, and see that its prefix ("Under") is built on words that mean "in the #Midst of." I remember how The Gospel has Jesus saying 'the Kingdom of Heaven is "in our Midst"'---sure, Sunday-School teachers might say He was talking about Himself being 'in the midst' of the community He was teaching; but His words are telling us that 'the Kingdom of God' is "inside us" ...

'The alignment of "Under" & "Midst"' also brings up America's money & -"flag-pledge" mentioning "One Nation Under God"---reminding me of how reporters & historians say that the United States is "under" its sitting President ... even though we all insist that the President is 'a citizen'---one who is 'in our Midst.'


The word "Midst (\ #Midsts)" is built on ancient words that mean Mid (possibly with influence from Against).

 

Comments