The Weirdness of #Auto-Fill (a.k.a. Auto-Correct or -Complete) @iamJohnOliver #GooglingYourName #BingingYourName #YahooingYourName


The word “Auto-” is built on ancient words that mean “-Self (|Himself, |Herself), one's Own, |Independently, |Naturally, Just |Exactly, Together with.”


Back when the above-linked video was posted, John Oliver's auto-complete (probably on Google) read:
    John Oliver is
  • not Funny
  • maybe Jewish (stylistically, yes; religiously, probably not)
  • definitely a Smurf (or maybe Smirf ... which might be some euphemism I don't know yet.)

Today (March 22, 2019), the auto-complete on Bing reads:
I think 'words' are more-popular than me, so I typed in
And then I went ahead & saw the auto-complete on
    "Jason Harry Hubbard is":
    • (which I eventually searched after 'Jay Hubbard is' & 'Jay Harry Hubbard is' didn't bring up any "auto-completes" either)
  • ... right ... I'm not 'famous' enough (today, anyway) for even that name to bring up any auto-complete descriptions; but the search did bring up my Quora profile (Quora's where people go to ask & answer questions ... like a Wikipedia wanna-be, maybe
I'll try one more

Comments