I just realized my Favorite Mystery-Shows are about #Consultants (not Officers, but #DepartmentAdjacent) | @TheMovieDB

On Paramount+, I was watching INSTINCT (where Alan Cumming plays Dylan Reinhart---a former CIA operative who gets pulled into consulting for the NYPD when a spree-murderer (or is it serial killer? I forget) uses the ex-operative's novel as a pattern for the killings), and my early-morning mind kind of "realized," 'HEY! This is just MONK, except ... wait a minute! MOST of my favorite crime-fighters are 'law-enforcement consultants.'

|That word| seems important; so I found out a little more about |that word| (below-linked to TMDB's list of "criminal consultant"-shows) and share my findings with you below---maybe I'll add some notes beneath (and/or you might start/continue the discussion in the comments).

The word |Consultants| (originally 'ones who #Consult Oracles') sits at the peak of the high tower above the proto-word *kom-sel-e- (from *s(e)lh- "to Take" & *kom- "With, Together (see Con-)"), which evolved through ancient words that mean "to Gather the Senate (for their Advice)."
just like #Consultant #Consults #Consulted #Consulting
 #Consultancy #Consultancies #Consultative #Consultation
 #Consultations

In fact, one of the word's first uses (other than the medical use) was in reference to Sherlock Holmes!

To Keep Up on My 'Research,'


Then, all the "criminal consultants" I'm a fan-of flooded into my mind: Beside Adrian Monk & Dylan Reinhart & Sherlock Homes
BATMAN, Jessica Fletcher (Murder, She Wrote), Shawn Spencer (psych), Walter O'Brien's team SCORPION, Superman (in a way, like Supergirl, ARROW, Batwoman, The Flash, The Legends of Tomorrow, etc.---crime-fighters who aren't as "legal" as consultants or even private-eyes ... I know BATMAN was occasionally 'running from the police,' but I'm thinking mostly of the 1960s' BATMAN (whom Commissioner Gordon regularly called for help)), Father Dowling, Reddington (THE BLACKLIST), Dr. Daniel Pierce (PERCEPTION)

along with the ones listed at TMDB that I either haven't
 seen or -am not thinking about right now ... 


Comments