What I'm Doing Here (or 'Another Look at This' :-P ): Trying to be Sociable without 'Breaking #Confinement'

Well, I'm not "confined against my will" (like #SolitaryConfinement in prison or something)--if I wanted to get dressed and walk for an hour or three to a public place where people were gathered to have fun (like I used to do--with a slightly-shorter walking-time--to a karaoke-bar or church or art-district) ...

but Why do that when I can accomplish the same thing from this desk in my home in the off-center of my neighborhood (without changing out of my pajamas or walking any further than 'to the restroom- or kitchen-&-back')?

|That word| (and the related words) came up as I thought about 'my process' here ...

The word “|Confinement|” is built high above ancient words that mean "With, Together (see Con-)" + ancient words that mean "an End (see Finish)," a combination which evolved through ancient words that mean "Limit, Boundary, FrontierBorder, Shut in, |Enclose."

just like #Confine #Confines #Confined #Confining
 #Confinement #Unconfined 


To Keep Up on My 'Research,'

Ever since I was a kid, I lived in this suburban neighborhood, on the street right behind my elementary-school (although the streets are arranged in such a way that I actually had to GO 3-or-4 BLOCKS to get to that school).

Other than the school (and a few of my suburban neighbors' houses), there's no place to go 'be sociable' within "walking distance."

Oh, when we were young we could go outside & 'run around in the yard' (usually the BACK-yard) and let our imaginations run wild. Sometimes I'd play out in the FRONT-yard, and luckily another neighbor my age would be playing in their front-yard & would call me over or -would answer my call, and we would--I dunno--play "Tag" or "Hide-&-Seek" or "House" or etc.

But usually there wouldn't be anyone out there, and--if I knew where they lived (on my street)--I would take it upon myself to go to their door and ASK if they could come out and play.

As we got older (into our teens)--though the Internet was not popular quite yet (though we could distract ourselves with 1990s television & -movies (mostly VHS) & video-games (mostly Nintendo & SEGA))--we started "enjoying" things we need cars (and our- or our friends'-new driver's-licenses) to get to.

Comments