#ConspiracyTheory of #TheQuickening (i.e. Why You Should Only Watch #HighlanderShows if You Can Review them with @TheRewatchers)

You've probably heard of HIGHLANDER---a 'fantasy' series about a race of humanoids who live among us, who resemble us in almost every way except for their eternal youth & near-immortality (they are 'referred-to' as Immortals---I would say they're 'called' Immortals, but I don't know).

The story started in a movie in the '80s (I think) which inspired several sequels, a few TV-series, some comic-books & maybe some video-games. But a few things I've heard from it make me want/need to dispel some rumors.

They say that--when an Immortal is witnessed 'suffering an injury that would be fatal to mortals'--they cut ties & move on (to another city, -area, -country, -continent, -planet ...) With my luckily-sheltered life (due to a TBI I suffered as a teen), my brain asks, "What if we're ALL "Immortal" and cemeteries-etc. are just a cover-story so people don't go looking for us when we "pass away"?'

Crazy, I know. What brings the question is 'what it is "The Immortals" are said to be fighting-for'---"The Quickening" is what MacLeod calls it in the TV-series' intro, but--through dialogue in the series--we hear that it's more like they're fighting for each other's #Quickening ... like each Immortal has a reservoir of Quickening, and it jumps from one Immortal into the nearest living Immortal when the former is killed in the one way we learn they can really die---beheading.

(It's the explosive lightning display we see whenever one Immortal beheads another, and it's also the static we see flowing over an Immortal's wounds as they heal extremely quickly.)

What is it about The Quickening that makes me think all this conspiratorial 'nonsense'? I think it was The First Quickening I heard-of---when the clay was molded into the man's shape, and the man was #Quickened by The Spirit. You can see if they discuss this in the podcasts linked through the bold text below (& -above).

The word “Quickening” is built on ancient words that mean "Give Life to (or Return to Life from the Dead)" (although it also took on the "Hasten, Accelerate, Gain Speed, become |Faster or more Active"-meanings ... see Quick, -|en). 
(Hmm ... I looked up 'the whole word' on Etymonline, and it returned the etymologies of "Vegetation" (the Quickening of vegetables' growth), Speeder (the contrivance for Quickening a vehicle), Alive (the state of being that follows Quickening) and ... Abortion (because The Quickening marks the border between Legal-Justified- & Illegal Abortion in many places).
those supports are aided by #Quicken #Quickens
In The Bible ... well, I can't find it in Genesis; but the eighth chapter of Paul's letter to The Romans tells 'them' (and thus 'we who believe') that He 'Will Quicken' (ζωοποιήσει) our mortal bodies---all the above meanings of "Quicken," along with "Arouse, Invigorate."
those supports are aided by #Quicken #Quickens

To Keep Up on My 'Research,'

Then my 'cast-typist'-idea comes in (related to my "Rhett Khan, The Sequelizer"-idea) ... the idea that--though I know 'actors play many entirely-separate roles'--one might think that each actors' many roles are actually 'secret identities of one-and-only-one character'

My first thought: Are The Immortals actually an early/recent version of The Jedi?
I really enjoy sharing my unique perspectives and I'm thankful to you for liking this enough to subscribe (FOR FREE) to get alerts when I post something new and -to comment below (to tell me how crazy or -ingenious or -foolish or -enlightening-etc. my writing is).

Comments