Watching the 4th hour of @MSNBC's coverage of @Coronation2023, I'm Reminded that Many of America's 'Patriotic Anthems' were made to #Mock 'our enemies' | @ChelyWright

One of the songs the British Coronation-ceremony featured was "God Save the King," which Americans parodied into "My Country, Tis of Thee ('Let Freedom Ring')."
... and so forth ...

Searching for 'American Anthems (that I've heard) that are based on "the anthems of our enemies,"' I got some mixed results---which I'll link to through the bold text below, and out of which I'll find 'the kind I'm looking for' and list them below ... OCD Glazomania, don't fail me now!

The word “Mock” is built on ancient words that mean "Deride, |Jeer (possibly atop words that mean 'to Blow the Nose (Mucus ... well, that's the Latin root; but it probably means the same thing 🤮)' or '|Mumble' or '|Grumble' or maybe it's |Imitative of such speech)" (|Feigned, Counterfeit, |Mimicking).
just like #Mocks #Mocked #Mocking #Mockery #Mockeries #Mockingbird #Mockingbirds #MockHeroic #MockTurtle #Mocker #Mockers #MockUp #MockUps #Mockingly

To Keep Up on My 'Research,'

    In addition to "My Country, Tis of Thee" being a parody of "God Save the (Royal ... 'King' right now, but 'Queen' when the monarch is a Female)," there's
  • "The Star Spangled Banner," a parody of "a popular British drinking song" ("To Anacreon in Heaven")
  • "Yankee Doodle" ... America didn't change that song at all; a British field-medic wrote it to mock the disheveled, rag-tag, rebelling Americans, and the Americans heard it and wore it with pride as they trounced the polished, spiffy, formal Redcoats.
  • "Hail to the Chief" was originally a song in a musical; and The Presidency 'commandeered it' (the same way the State of Oklahoma 'commandeered' "Oklahoma!" (from the Rodgers & Hammerstein musical of the same name))
  • "Stars and Stripes Forever" is totally American--as far as I know--but was once known as the 'Disaster March' (as venues used to have their band play it to signal life-threatening emergencies so the staff could organize the audience's retreat).
  • "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" was based on the tune of "John Brown's Body"
  • "The 1812 Overture" has nothing to do with American Patriotism (except it's sometimes used to accompany 4th-of-July fireworks)
  • "You're a Grand Ol' Flag" was also originally in a musical ("George Washington, Jr." was the production")
  • Woody Guthrie's "This Land Is Your Land" was actually inspired by Irving Berlin's "God Bless America"
And I'd never heard this song (I don't think it's a parody), but you might like it
I really enjoy sharing my unique perspectives and I'm thankful to you for liking this enough to subscribe (FOR FREE) to get alerts when I post something new and -to comment below (to tell me how crazy or -ingenious or -foolish or -enlightening-etc. my writing is).

Comments