@SkyNews shares the chance to Witness the #Anointing of #KingCharlesTheThird @RoyalFamily during @Coronation2023 | @NYPost @CatholicHerald

What makes Prince Charles III into "King Charles III"? True, he's been 'King' ever since the passing of Elizabeth II; but (as Ambassador Karen Pierce told Jen Psaki) it's not until The Coronation that Charles was #Anointed!

The word “Anointing” is built on ancient words that mean "to #Smear in, -into (see |Unguent)" (using a Grease or Oil for Medicinal Purposes). 
The word "Smear" is built on ancient words that mean "Grease."
just like #Anoints #Anoint
The word has had a Spiritual sense to it since at-least-as-far-back as The Bible-translators who used “Anoint” to translate the Greek χρίω, which is also translated "to Consecrate (by Anointing)."

To Keep Up on My 'Research,'

That Anointing is all-well-&-good, but there's also The Oath he took today (with "sausage fingers" on The Bible) ...
“I, Charles, do solemnly and sincerely in the presence of God profess, testify, and declare that I am a faithful Protestant, and that I will, according to the true intent of the enactments which secure the Protestant succession to the throne, uphold and maintain the said enactments to the best of my powers according to law.”

Wait a minute! "Protestant?" What does that mean for Catholics like Stephen Colbert & President Joe Biden & me?  (other than 'a big fat nothin` `coz we're `Mericans, carn-sarn it!')

First, that's only the last part of the oath ... the bit that comes after this:

Archbishop of Canterbury: Your Majesty, the Church established by law, whose settlement you will swear to maintain, is committed to the true profession of the Gospel, and, in so doing, will seek to foster an environment in which people of all faiths and beliefs may live freely. The Coronation Oath has stood for centuries and is enshrined in law. Are you willing to take the Oath?

He says 'I am,' and then

Archbishop of Canterbury: "Will you to the utmost of your power maintain the Laws of God and the true profession of the Gospel? Will you to the utmost of your power maintain in the United Kingdom the Protestant Reformed Religion established by law? Will you maintain and preserve inviolably the settlement of the Church of England, and the doctrine, worship, discipline, and government thereof, as by law established in England? And will you preserve unto the Bishops and Clergy of England, and to the Churches there committed to their charge, all such rights and privileges as by law do or shall appertain to them or any of them?"

The King: "All this I promise to do. The things which I have here before promised I will perform and keep. So help me God." 

Archbishop of Canterbury: "Your Majesty, are you willing to make, subscribe and declare to the statutory Accession Declaration Oath?"

The King: "I am willing.... (then the ending oath---the first one I quoted above)"


This oath (especially the part that I first quoted) was originally designed to exclude Catholics. CATHOLIC HERALD assures us that the Catholic/Protestant 'Conflict' doesn't matter so much---that (I'm interpreting a little here) it's kind of like Charles 'swearing to stay Caucasian (no matter what ethnicity may take the throne in ages to come).'

But my mind brings up all the times I've heard that Catholicism isn't even "Christian!" The best argument for that allegation comes from Dr. --, who says we aren't Christian because our "belief" in Transubstantiation (whereby the wafers & wine of our Holy Communion "become" the flesh & blood of Our Lord Jesus Christ) denies the sacrifice of Our Lord's original flesh & blood.

I would counter that by asking how Protestants propose 'making the blood-covenant' (something Kenneth Copeland preaches about a lot ... he says there was an Old Testament ceremony that involved 'the two covenanters bleeding together & mixing their blood'---or maybe I'm remembering it wrong ... I'll probably review it soon ...)

Point is: we Catholics blend 'His blood' with our blood by drinking it. Stated succinctly like that, I know it sounds like saying "Catholics practice Vampirism." And maybe that's the difference between Protestants & Catholics: Protestants assume that we've always been 'blood-brothers with Christ,' while Catholics actually renew our blood-brotherhood.

"But that's not really Christ's blood!" Maybe it wasn't when the Church first procured it. But our weekly Mass (after the readings of Scripture) is devoted to Anointing those wafers & wine (to TRANSFORM them into the flesh & blood), the same way this day's Anointing turned Charles from 'just another wealthy property-owner' to 'The King of the Great Britain & Chief Representative of The Commonwealth!'

that 'oath' got me started on this tangent ...

I really enjoy sharing my unique perspectives and I'm thankful to you for liking this enough to subscribe (FOR FREE) to get alerts when I post something new and -to comment below (to tell me how crazy or -ingenious or -foolish or -enlightening-etc. my writing is).

Comments