is #Hollywood "above the Law," @TheAcademy? @WillSmith? ... well, Will Doesn't Think-so, @Variety reports ... | @PageSix

I'm getting paid to add my opinion to a discussion (about Will Smith's violent reaction) you can access through 'the bold word(s)' below; but first I want to teach you about those words. And I find you understand words better if you see 'the words at their base' (then going on to look at the words at those words' bases, then the words at those words' bases, etc.-etc. ad infinitum into their Foundation)

The word “Hollywood” (a nickname for America's |Movie-Industry ... named after 'the line of letters across a hill-top' that used to say #HOLLYWOODLAND) is built on the name of a |Ranch that once stood in what used to be a quiet Farming Community in Los Angeles (until they started converting the Barns into |Movie-|Studios).

From there I see several possible roots of the name:

Hollywood Name Meaning, Family History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms (houseofnames.com) says it's the name of the family that lived by the Hollow- or the Holy-Way.

How Did Hollywood Get Its Name? (theculturetrip.com) says that the real estate-developer there either named it |Holly Wood (for the |Mistletoe-like |Shrubbery that grew there (a plant that Wiktionary & TreePeople say is called |Toyon)) ...

or his wife named it after |Holly Canyon (where her friend lived) ...
or that Hollywood was just the name (of an Illinois-estate, it so-happened) she happened to hear ...
or it was inspired in the real estate developer when he heard a foreigner say he was "|Hauling Wood" (in a cart) with an accent so thick that it sounded like he was saying '|Holly Wood.'


SUBSCRIBE FREE below:
Follow



Will Smith issued this apology afterward:

“Violence in all of its forms is poisonous and destructive. My behavior at last night’s Academy Awards was unacceptable and inexcusable. Jokes at my expense are part of the job, but a joke about Jada’s medical condition was too much for me to bear and I reacted emotionally,” Smith wrote. “I would like to publicly apologize to you, Chris. I was out of line and I was wrong. I am embarrassed and my actions were not indicative of the man I want to be. There is no place for violence in a world of love and kindness.”

The post continued, “I would also like to apologize to the Academy, the producers of the show, all the attendees and everyone watching around the world. I would like to apologize to the Williams Family and my King Richard Family. I deeply regret that my behavior has stained what has been an otherwise gorgeous journey for all of us. I am a work in progress.”

... but apparently those behavior wasn't "unacceptable & inexcusable" enough to require forfeiture of the award, according to Academy-officer Whoopi Goldberg.

"Oh, there'll be 'consequences,'" she says (with The Academy investigating the situation). But Will did do an incredible job in that movie ... and---well, Bill Cosby still has his awards; yeah?

Comments