#Woo Who? Why Isn't 'How to #PitchWoo' a Class in Public-School? or -a part of #Braininjury-Rehabilitation' @TBIvoices #WooHoo @TrevorNoah


Subscribe FREE to be notified when I uncover more strength here.


I feel ... "wrong/angry"—like I imagine The Emperor felt if he learned that he didn't actually have any New Clothes, and his trusted advisors hadn't actually tried to tell him!

I'm exactly where I want to be ... well, not "exactly"; I'm where I want to be, but not 'the way I want to be.'

What 'way' do I want to be? 'bound in matrimony,' I think. It would look exactly the same (myself, alone, at home doing whatever while my roommate is 'elsewhere' (working a 9-to-5 or somewhere else in the house with one of their hobbies or etc.)), but it would be different ... somehow ...

Basically, it would be different because I'd be writing this as "Mr. Hubbard, Mrs. Hubbard's husband" and not "Mr. Hubbard, Mrs. Hubbard's son" (and yes, you might think of it as "Mrs. Hubbard's son who moved back in with his mom"; but it might be better to think of it as 'Mrs. Hubbard's son who barely defeated death and whose recovery makes him too difficult to employ').

Being 'too difficult to employ' makes it seem like I'm "not worthy of marriage" (at least that's how it seems to the kind of girl I'd want to marry, I imagine). I was raised believing that a man 'becomes the "father-figure" of the woman he marries' (which is why the traditional wedding involves the bride's father (who traditionally pays for the wedding) "giving her away").

I suppose married couples are now "equal partners"—like 'brothers & sisters living together' (except it's not disgusting when they make love 😛.)

But I am not 'equal.' My wife would have to be my "legal guardian" (oh, and maybe I'd be her's too; but she would be 'the one who (officially) pays the bills'—my annuity & whatever other income would go toward that, but not with 'my' signature).


So where am I supposed to find a wife?

The first place I think of is ... not one of the places most people find spouses (I was thinking they meet at school or at work or at the bar/club/etc., but Mic says they usually meet 'through friends' ... which is sorta the way I was thinking I'd have to).

Sometimes my friend has me & other TBI-survivors on a panel to speak to one of her Master classes at The University. I imagine I 'should've' made this announcement one time (i.e. I shouldn't have (and didn't and won't ... at least not as 'abruptly' as this might seem), but might have to ... but only with direct approval of an edited announcement):
I want to get married. I want one of you to marry me—to be my wife, as I am your husband. Maybe I've met one or two of you before, so of-course I'd prefer those who I've met before today; but I really don't care if one of you whom I've never met before decides to be my wife.

Naturally I'd prefer if you all agreed on which of you should be my wife—though I'd imagine that would steal some of the romance of meeting a guy who's independent enough to "pitch woo" and "win you" ... just like I'd miss the ego-boost that comes with "winning the girl" and "becoming- and maintaining the status of-your provider."
and then the part I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna do, but
 just imagining now to 'conclude' (in my mind) for now.
So I'm just gonna close my eyes, hold out my hand, and 'whichever one of you you-all decide' can take it & go off with me & live happily ever after. 
That's the dream, right?

But that first part; it makes me think, 'Why can't I pitch woo dependently? Have "my mom" or "a friend" take a girl & I out on dates & get married etc.?' (Asked-&-Answered, no? I mean; what girl's gonna agree to go on a date with a guy who can only take her "if a grown-up takes us"?)

That kind of woo is pitched 'into the sewer!' ... 'That word' (below-hyperlinked to the story of a female TBI-survivor who found a husband who loves her) is built on an even-deeper source ... something crucial that firms the foundation upon which our lexicon stands ...

The word “Woo” is built on words that mean “to Court, Marry” (on Foundations that might include "|Bent, |Inclined").

Why do I bring this up? I hear all the time what a "hardship" marriage is and -what a damaging process the highly likely divorce that follows is, and I don't have to worry about any of that affecting me; why aren't I more 'happy that I'm free'?

First of all, I've got connections on Facebook that're always posting 'what wonderful marriages they have' & 'what wonderful things their spouses did for them' & etc. But how often do you see Facebook-posts about 'the joys of being single' and 'the long hours you spend alone without the knowledge that someone will return soon?'

Also, one of my very few survivor-friends (who's also single) tells me that–when I get to be his age (about twice my age now)–I'm going to regret not having found someone to 'grow old together' with.

But what girl would forsake 'the chance at life with a strong, independent partner' & devote herself to 'the unending hard-labor of a life with a legally-dependent, unpredictable partner'?



Know anything else interesting about that? Comment!

Comments