#StudyTheBible (#ChapterByChapter #VerseByVerse #WordByWord) - #Mansions in My Father's House (#John14Two) @BibleGateway @prayerDotOrg

'That word' (below-hyperlinked to a couple translations of the verse) is built on an even-deeper source ... something crucial that firms the foundation upon which our lexicon stands ...

The word “Mansions” (& #Mansion) is built on ancient words that mean "to Remain (|Stay, |Abide)" (|Chief |Residence of a Lord).
That's a translation of the Greek "μοναὶ (moné)" which is also translated (in other versions or in one other place in the Gospel) as "Lodging, |Dwelling-Place, Room, |Abode."





I think this was the passage (as Lord Jesus Christ spoke to His disciples, telling them that He was about to do some things that were a little more-advanced than they could handle right now (so He was gonna have to go ahead of them and get some things ready for them)) ... the passage that first opened my mind to the idea that the people who wrote The Bible weren't exactly 'on the same page' as today's thinkers:

John 14:2 Young's Literal Translation (YLT)

in the house of my Father are many mansions; and if not, I would have told you; I go on to prepare a place for you;

I suspect this verse may have contributed to the founding of many a 'Prosperity Gospel'-ministry, because--whatever they thought a 'mansion' was in Jesus' day, whatever they thought a 'mansion' was when King James' translators transcribed The Bible--'mansions' have long been one of the signs of "Livin` Large in the Lap of Luxury."

So my reaction to this verse (when I first read it at the same time as I knew "what a Mansion was") was something like 'A buncha huge gigantic "Mansions" inside a "House"? How do they all fit in there?!'

(of course, I had not yet experienced the "bigger on the
 inside"-TARDIS ... which this verse might actually have
 inspired!)

Hmm ... this verse (coupled with Lord Jesus' eventual Ascension into The Heavens) might be the reason people describe the dead as "passed-on"---they don't 'cease to exist,' they simply "go on to prepare a place for we who love them."

Comments