Finding Out #WhataDOWis so that You Don't Have to, @StephenAtHome (of @ColbertLATESHOW) @investopedia #TheDow #DowJonesIndex #DowJones #DowJonesIndustrialAverage #DJIA ... it's like a Stock Market thing, right?


Subscribe FREE to be notified when I uncover more strength here.


'Reporting' on events connected to the COVID-19 outbreak (because 'all responsible X-ennials know that he & other comedic entertainers are one of the best sources for news (sometimes even better than 'the news-makers (powerful politicians & employers) themselves')), Stephen Colbert also reported that 'the Dow Jones had gone down thousands of points.'
"Good Lord! If it goes down any lower, I'll have to find out what 'a Dow' is!"
(Well, it went down lower; so I guess he had to 'find out.' But I had already started this, so I'll go ahead and 'find out' for you!)



Fear not, esteemed entertainer; I'll find out what it is, so you can rest assured that all the needed info is secure and -you don't have to forget any Elvish sayings to make room for it in your brain.

It's ... well if I tell you now, your ingenious mind will look at it & learn it and you'll lose the information about ... See? I learned what 'the Dow Jones' is, and now I can't even remember 'what the Dow Jones made me forget!'

So I'll tell you what the Dow Jones is a little further down; but first ...

'Dow Jones' (below-hyperlinked to your (Late Show host Stephen Colbert) report on President Trump's reaction) is built on an even-deeper source ... something crucial that firms the foundation upon which our lexicon stands ...

The word “Dow Jones” is built on the surnames of its two publishers (who also went on to publish The Wall Street Journal). 
The surname "Dow" is built on words that mean "Dairy-|Maid" (I think I've already posted about Jones).


Actually, I'm not sure 'what a Dow is' either; I mean, I know it's 'a "regular" (daily?) report on the prices of shares of companies' shares-of-stock' ... but I don't know if it's 'an average of all the shares-sold' or 'just the biggest price minus the smallest price' or what ...

How do they price it, anyway? I mean, who counts all the sales & adds them & averages-them-out and ...

I look at The Dow Jones' early history, and it kinda 'skips' all that. It tells me that 'The Dow Jones' was a "stock average" (the average price of a share-of-stock among a sample-selection of companies) in a two-page newsletter that was the precursor to THE WALL STREET JOURNAL.

... Oh! I kinda skipped over 'what points are!' See, The Dow Jones Index Average isn't "dollars," it's "points" (because–finding the average of 'however many shares are sold in a day'–the report would tell you "we're up $657.43978" rather than 'we're up a hundred points'—more efficient.

Know anything else interesting about that? Comment!

Comments