#Turtle (#TeenageMutantNinjaTurtle, that is) Evolution - I'm Surprised if They haven't done an Xmen-Crossover (Yet) @TMNTpedia #TMNT @SpaceMonkeyX


Subscribe FREE to be notified when I uncover more strength here.


I watched the TMNT episode of The Toys that Made Us today, and was inspired to find out how those turtles evolved from 'some sketching by comic-book geeks Eastman and Laird' to 'the cultural pillars they've been before and -they will become again and again in the future.'

'That word' (below-hyperlinked to the TMNT-'wikipedium') is built on an even-deeper source ... something crucial that firms the foundation upon which our lexicon stands ...

The word “Turtle” is built on Sailors' Mispronounciation of French words that mean “Marine Tortoise (Diabolical Beast).”

As I said, it started with Kevin Eatman's & Peter Laird's comic-book (published in their living-room/studio Mirage Studios) off-and-on since May 1984. It was a parody of Cerberus, Ronin, X-Men/The New Mutants, and especially Daredevil (their origin-stories being so similar, the turtles' master Splinter a parody of Daredevil's master Stick, the turtle's enemy The Foot being a parody of Daredevil's enemy The Hand).

For a fuller summary (fuller than this one, obviously not 'fuller than the Wiki linked above), checkout MentalFloss's report.... I was looking for more of a "timeline," but I might have to 'make one for myself' ... that is, unless I can find one on Peter Laird's blog.

Or am I looking at that wrong (or 'wrongly' 🤓)? Tell
 me how-wrong/right I am in the comments below 😁

Comments