Wondering Why they called 'Dating with Thoughts of Marriage' #Courting, I Find Some Interesting Things @ibLp @YourTango #Court #Courted #Courtship #ComeACourtin


Subscribe FREE to be notified when I uncover more strength here.


In the olden days (before even my time ... ancient before ancient, no?) I imagine they had young women & men attend a yearly cotillion/prom/hoe-down where they would meet and arrange to 'go courting.'

Nowadays, I thought 'going courting' was the same as 'going out on a date'; and maybe that's what everyone agrees to make it look like, but there are some distinct differences (at least according to the Institute in Basic Life Principles).

When they're "courting," the couple goes in with the plan to get married. Though they may call their meetings "dates," they're far more committed than a couple who is 'just dating' (even if they're dating "exclusively").

I suppose the 'Facebook-status' would be "In a Relationship" (not "Single," but not quite "Engaged"; definitely not "in an open relationship," maybe "it's complicated"?)

'That word' (below-hyperlinked to YourTango's explanation of Courtship) is built on an even-deeper source ... something crucial that firms the foundation upon which our lexicon stands ...

The word “Courting” is built on words that mean “With, Together + to Grasp, Enclose (Garden, Plot of Ground)” (Palace, Residence of a Sovereign; Solicit- or Seek Marriage, using Actions like those exhibited in Royal Court).

I was never aware of any 'courting' going on ... most of the girls I would've 'courted' were possibly 'already courting,' and I was just "another patient" to them.

And ... I've never felt that I was in the position to 'court' anyone. I've always been more of a ... a jester, or an assistant jester—not worthy of any of the esteemed ladies I've been 'dreaming-of.'

That's partly 'everybody else's fault,' as they don't respect me enough to make me think I deserve to court & -be courted; but the only part I can do anything about is to take the respect I deserve.


Know anything else interesting about that? Comment!

Comments